Strawberry & Spinach Salad

Yesterday morning was the most wonderful morning I had in a really long time. I woke up and was not still tired, I had NO abdominal pain, and I felt fantastic! My waist was 2 inches smaller than last week to boot! Boot camp wasn't so bad since I had the energy to get through it. I was tuckered out by 8:30 with several gluten-symptoms coming out, though, so I'm certainly not back to 100%.

I promised I would post recipes that I find really good and my first one is a doozy. I'm somewhat of a salad snob in that I only really like homemade dressing and I will only eat it fresh. Now that I'm cutting out gluten, homemade dressing is almost a necessity since gluten is in a lot of salad dressings. This picture does not do the salad justice - my taste buds were partying! It was so good that I had it for lunch today and I do not like leftover salad (I said I was a salad snob).


Strawberry & Spinach Salad
2 bunches spinach
4 cups sliced strawberries
Mandarin oranges (amount to suit your taste)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar in the raw
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Sliced, toasted almonds
Feta cheese
  1. In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, strawberries, mandarin oranges, and toasted almonds.
  2. Crumble and sprinkle some feta cheese on salad.
  3. In a blender, mix the oil, vinegar, sugar, honey, paprika, and poppy seeds together.
  4. Pour over greens and fruit. 
  5. Toss to coat.

The blender is really key to good dressing. I find even a few pulses really makes the flavors meld together nicely. I have a magic bullet blender that allows for very easy small batches, which is perfect for dressings. Enjoy this sweetness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Face

Finding Face

Gracie's First Holy Communion