Finding Face

About a year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. It was not a fun experience at all. It took about 9 months for me to get my face back in its original position, but I was not 100% back to my former self. That didn't happen until yesterday morning.

I've been a musician for as long as I can remember. I like to try lots of instruments but am only really good at one - playing the flute. It comes as naturally to me as breathing. When Bell's hit me, I lost control of the right side of my face; and with that loss, I could no longer play the flute. I could not control the muscles that allow me to hold my embouchure, the position of the lips, facial muscles, tongue, and teeth while playing a wind instrument. It took me years to perfect the position to get the most beautiful sound out of this instrument. Once I had it, my face just remembered it. I did not have to make any effort to hold this mouth position; until December of 2015, that is.


I was devastated. Not only did I look a little scary, but I couldn't do something that came so naturally to me for most of my life, something that gave me great happiness on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, the world didn't lose a fantastic musician - I mean, I'm not at Carnegie Hall playing concerts - I'm just at church or weddings in my little corner of the world. But I lost something, something that was very important to me.


Since then, I thought I'd try to expand my horizons a little. I started singing more at church and even thumbed my way through a few services playing the piano. Neither one came naturally or were even easy, but I thought that with time, maybe I'd become more comfortable. Still waiting...

On a regular basis, I tried tooting my flute, always when no one was around because I sounded more like a first year student. It wasn't pretty. Then a friend of mine mentioned that I should try stimulating that area of my face with a vibrator. She is a speech therapist and although she admitted it was an odd suggestion, she thought it would work. Months went by and I kept her words in the back of my mind. Then one day, I heard a recording of a song I'd done years before, an Irish number, from a wedding I'd done, and I longed to make that music again. I knew I had to try my friend's suggestion - I just had to play again.

So off I went to my computer and ordered a vibrator. For my face. Then for about a month, I gave myself some facial treatments with something called a "pocket rocket". (If my computer is ever seized, I swear the searches were for this!) Miraculously, over the next month, I began to hold the embouchure and glimpses of that sweet beautiful sound made its appearance. I played in church yesterday for the first time. After a year and a half, I've found my sound again, I've found my face again. And it sounds so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Face

In All Things, Give Thanks

Gracie's First Holy Communion