The Best Laid Plans...

Getting together with family and friends is the single best past-time around. I don't do it nearly often enough as I would like, and because I live in Podunk, PA, it usually involves me throwing a party. This is where Chris and I have a slight difference of opinion. Don't get me wrong, he likes being with people, too, but I tend to invite all kinds of people over all year long. I think he'd rather go out a little more instead of playing host so often. I cannot say I blame him - I've been known to reach out to strangers from time to time and invite them over, as well, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't thrill him. Take Chase & Chelsea, for example. I met them at a concert in Philly. Within the short span of an hour and a half, I invited them to our house for the annual Memorial Day pool opening party. They were very friendly college kids attending Missouri State and headed back to college that weekend, but they were coming home to Philly in time for my party, and said yes right away.

We've been planning that Memorial Day party for this upcoming weekend, and Chris has said numerous times, "how about we just keep it kinda small this time", which I generally ignored (just ask Chase and Chelsea). He managed to find a way to keep it small, though, so small that we're not having one at all. And it goes like this...

Ben was hoping to repeat last year's turkey, but no such luck
Chris took Ben away with Poppop this weekend to go turkey hunting (more like Pinochle-poker-playing and nap takin'). A few days before he left, he broke out into a rash on the side of his body and complained of back and side pain. It was getting worse instead of better as he continued to treat his rash for what he thought was poison ivy. I suggested he see the doctor before his trip, but it was his turn to ignore me. As I was single-mom-in'-it over the weekend, his symptoms were worsening; so much so that he found a doctor at a country ER in the middle of Port Allegheny and was diagnosed with Shingles. There goes the party next week! Shingles are not the end of the world, but are definitely painful and itchy, and they can take weeks to go away. I had them when I was eight months pregnant with NC and remember how yucky that was. Chris was looking for sympathy when he called to tell me about his dilemma, but I recalled his words to me when I had the same problem. "Suck it up, Leanne, you only have a month to go until the baby is born." At least he gets to take meds!

So Chris headed home a little early Sunday just in time to drop Ben off at a picnic with some friends along the way. Chris wasn't feeling great, so he headed home. (Good thing, too, because I almost did not recognize him - he hadn't shaved in days and was looking like a real mountain man.) Being the awesome wife that I am, I left chicken salad in the fridge for him and chopped up a fruit salad (I really wanted to tell him to just suck it up and eat crackers, but I just couldn't do it - he sounded miserable.) But now his party is a party of one today and his party next week is just our little family, which will actually be great. I need a weekend to relax and get a few small house projects done, so it's a blessing in disguise. We'll just have to reschedule our Memorial Day Party for July and I'll have to compensate by inviting a few extra people!

The chicken salad was awesome and gluten-free, so I thought I'd share the recipe. When I eat it, I have it on celery sticks or gluten-free crackers (I've yet to find a GF bread that I like!).
 
Chicken Salad
2 cups of cooked chicken
1 Tablespoon chopped dill weed
sea salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 lemon
gluten-free mayonnaise
3 spring onions
2 celery stalks
  1. In a food processor, chop the chicken to the desired consistency (don't chop too much, or you'll be eating mush). Add to medium sized bowl.
  2. In food processor, chop the onions and celery to tiny bits. Add to chicken.
  3. Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise, a freshly juiced lemon, dill weed, and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. If desired, add sliced green grapes and or pine nuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Face

Finding Face

Gracie's First Holy Communion