Does Gluten-Free make you smarter?

I love that saying, "You are what you eat."  Tonight, this is what I'm going to resemble:


Ever since I started this journey, I've been more and more conscience of what I'm putting in my mouth, and am ever-so-thankful that my nausea has subsided since I've gone gluten-free. I cannot even put into words how awesome that feels. I've been sick for so long that the only comparison I can make is that I feel like a new person. I mean altogether like someone else. I'm still fatigued, but better than before, so I think the Vitamin D is beginning to absorb; I'm still achy in my joints, but better than before. I don't think I've actually lost any weight, yet, but I think that will happen. I'm so hungry since I got off gluten that it just HAS to come off. I don't think I'm hungry from lack of food, but rather a withdrawal from gluten.

I've bought a few gluten-free cookbooks and will begin trying to convert some of my classic go-to recipes to gluten-free. My family will be my lab rats - if I can win them over, I might actually write a cookbook of my own. I'm going to post any note-worthy recipes here as I test and alter them. I'll only post the good ones.

My oldest son seems to be less moody with the switch, too, but I was reminded today of how delicate we all are because of his teenage shenanigans. I dropped him off at a friend's house this afternoon so he could skateboard for a few hours and get some natural Vitamin D into his system. As I was taxiing him there, I was thinking how great a time he would have given the beautiful weather, but warned him to be careful. He said, "It's impossible not to be careful, skateboards are harmless." (You know where this is going, don't you?) The phone rang 20 minutes after I arrived home after the drop-off, and his friend's mom was on the line. "Leanne, first of all, he is fine." Never a good way to start the call, my friends. "Nate had a fall, but he's ok. His clothes are a little scraped and he has a few brush burns, but I think I got him cleaned up." So I thanked her for taking care of him and letting me know and soon went back to get him.

He looks terrible, but insists that he is fine. It turns out, gluten-free did not grant him better judgement or increase his IQ. He hurt himself while trying to skate down a long and bumpy ("gravel-y" was his term) hill. No wonder he crashed. He ruined his new hoodie, but I told him I'd just cut the sleeves off and convert it to a short-sleeve hoodie. He said that it was a weird idea, but said he'd wear it anyway. I think he was happy I didn't scream at him. Honestly, I was just happy he wasn't seriously hurt.

So that lead me to thinking about my "brain fog", as I call it. I've noticed that my thought processes have been less sharp while in the throws of feeling so sick; but I'm unsure if it's because I was so sick that I was distracted and unable to focus, or if the inability for my body to absorb food's nutrients was chipping away at my brain functionality. I do believe my brain fog is beginning to lift, though. I had a brilliantly clear idea for work today and I've not had them often lately. I may not be any smarter, but I am thinking with more clarity. What a joy that is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Face

In All Things, Give Thanks

Gracie's First Holy Communion